Completed: Colfax Dress

I'm on a sewing roll! I purchased True Bias's latest pattern, Colfax. I'm always drawn to a line's and shift dresses, even when all the advice for my body shape says to avoid them. They're comfortable and easy to wear, and I'm a sucker for both of those qualities. 

When I made my muslin, I found that I need a bit more ease in the hips, and some length added overall. I'm fairly certain True Bias patterns are drafted for a 5'5" frame, so seeing as I've  got another 3 inches on that adding length was a given. Looking at the finished garment, I could have also used a swayback adjustment. It's more prominent here that on my muslin, but the fabric's pattern might have a lot to do with that. 

I think I prefer it belted, but I did wear it unbelted through a couple photo shoots at the studio- it was easier to move around into my weird shooting positions sans belt. I really like the neckline of this dress, and have plans to hack it into more of a dirndl style. It should get pretty heavy rotation this summer as is though. The fabric has been sitting in my stash for quite some time, and I'm excited to have gotten to use it- even if my side seam pattern matching isn't the best. 

And yes, my hair is purple currently. I'm having fun with unnatural colors. This is a faded mix of Manic Panic's  Ulta Violet and electric amethyst.  

Anything good on your sewing tables right now? What hair color should I do next?

Completed: Sense and Sensibility Regency Short Stays

I whipped up the Sense and Sensibility Regency Short Stays this past week. I managed to use everything from my stash to complete the project! I do need to pick up some proper lacing cord, but the ribbon works in the meantime. The outer layer is an organic cotton, the inner layer is coutil, and the lining is a white on white printed quilting cotton. I bound the edges with self-made bias tape and worked the eyelets in a heavy linen thread. It fits me much better than my dress form. Even though my dress form is padded out, I still have a lot more "squish". I'm working on a new chemise currently, and will add photos of it on once I've completed that. It does come nearly closed in front, even though I sized down two sizes. I didn't add gussets, I feared it would be too large after my fitting. The strap placement on the front is a bit wonky- the folding that happens on my form also happens on my body. I might try and fix them soon- but I'm not sure how much time I'll invest in these, more of a temporary stays until I find time to get my corded ones done- with a proper busk to separate the ladies. 

These do give me an excuse to sew some of the regency patterns I've been hoarding, which is exciting! I've been trying to squeeze a historical garment in between every modern sewing project I've had. I think I'll much prefer a longer set of stays in the long run.